Thursday, August 19, 2004

.....?

Streaks of lightning flashed across the sky revealing the menacing clouds above. Sheets of rain slapped the ship as the thunder roars. The winds raged, ripping the sails. The raging sea sends massive waves, tossing the ship around like a toy. The old ship could not take it anymore.

“Abandon Ship!” the captain yelled, no sooner than that the old ship began to give in. The mast was first to go. It plummeted down onto the poor souls below; they never knew what hit them. As the old ship was breaking apart I grabbed my dear wife and amidst the chaos we both ran towards the life boats. As we made our frantic dash towards the boats, the deck below us splited apart, sending us into the raging sea below. I held my wife’s hand tight and pulled her towards me. I took a deep breath as both out bodies enter the freezing waters. I quickly grabbed hold of a piece of driftwood and with my wife in one hand I swam away from the sinking ship. Having felt that I was at a safe distance away, I pulled my wife up on to the drift wood and turned around in hope of spotting other survivors only to see the ship slowly going down beneath the waves.

Again lighting flashed lighting up the dark night sky. I was lucky to spot a nearby island in that split-second. With the little strength I have left I swam towards that island using the driftwood as a float with my exhausted wife beside me. I battled the raging sea. My strength slowly drained away but the island aw getting nearer. I pushed on harder; the thought of saving my wife drove me on as she lay resting on the driftwood. She was unusually quiet, but I thought nothing of it. I soon could feel the sandy beach beneath my feet. Using my last remaining strength I pulled my wife up onto the beach and collapsed

The early morning sun tickled my eyelids. I slowly opened my eyes and stretched out my hands. Feeling my wife hands, I thought it felt cold. I looked at her; my heart sank when I saw the sand stained in her blood. A piece of wood had pierced through her abdomen. I crawled to her. My eyes were flooded with tears. I bent down and kissed her cold blue lips. I sat down beside her lifeless body, sobbing. Tears rolled down my dried cheeks. Having lost my only reason to live, I was totally lost. I felt no purpose continuing my struggle to survive through this ordeal. To me, there was no more meaning to life.

“Why me, why now?” I asked myself. Driven to insanity I ran around the beach screaming, blaming the almighty. Tearing my hair, I was like a madman. I ran and screamed until I had no more strength. There was no reason to live. Living on this island alone, with no one to talk to for many years would be a fate worse than death. As sunset approaches, I made my way to a nearby cliff. With the sun slowly sinking beneath the horizon I took a step into the end. The waves crashing below became bigger and bigger. I closed my eyes and embraced my fate, “I am coming dear”.